If you are meeting a Filipina girl’s parents for the first time, you need to know exactly what to say to Filipino parents when you want to date their daughter. Actually, it isn’t just what you say that matters, but how you say it.
There are several things you will need to think in mind while figuring out the right words to say and how to say them:
1) Differences in cultural backgrounds and sets of belief especially where courtship and marriage are concerned.
2) You grew up in a different environment.
3) Filipinos are generally family-oriented.
With that in mind here are a couple of opening lines that may get you to a good start:
1) “Your daughter has been talking about you at great lengths, and I could see how much she adores and respects the both of you. I have wanted so much to meet you. I hope you will give me the chance to get to know you and your daughter better.”
2) “Your daughter is incredibly smart and charming. I told her I would very much want to meet the family from whose genes those came from.”
I’d like to emphasize that these lines are best said with sincerity. Don’t simply engage in lip service. Rather mean every word you say and let the words come from your heart. Speak softly, but clearly. And remember that actions speak louder than words. Don’t forget that Filipinos are smart people. They can tell by simply looking at your actions if you are sincere or not.
Before “meeting the parents” take time to learn a few Filipino words, such as “po” and “opo” which indicate respect of elders. Say, “magandang umaga po” to greet them “good morning”, and say “salamat po” when you want to say “thank you”. Filipino parents will love to hear you say these words to them.
It is important to look your best when “meeting the family” for the first time. Remember first impressions count a lot and along with you say and how you say it matters greatly, the girl’s family will also be looking at your overall persona. If you have been looking forward to this very day as you say, it is important that you come prepared and dressed for the occasion.
It’s not that Filipino parents are particular about looks, but it tells something about your personality, and surely you wouldn’t want to make it appear that you don’t know how to take care of yourself, would you? If you leave that kind of impression, your girl’s parents might think that you wouldn’t be able to take care of their daughter. It makes sense, doesn’t it? Well, of course it does not necessarily mean dressing up to the nines. Now, you don’t want to intimidate the girl’s parents, do you? But you have to look neat and clean-shaven at the very least.
So really, it isn’t just what to say to Filipino parents when you want to date their daughter that matters, but how you say these words and how you carry yourself when you meet them.