Amidst cultural differences, many foreigners end up with a Filipino woman for a wife. And many of those successfully married to a Filipina will tell you what a wonderful experience it has been for them. If you want to follow their lead and hope to live happily ever after.
Here are 12 tips for a foreigner who want to marry a Filipino woman:
1) Get the right connections to the girl’s heart. A big thing to keep in mind is that Filipino women are generally conservative and shy. So it’s always a good idea to find a common friend to make the introductions first before proceeding with your next moves.
2) Make the right impression. Filipino women may not be very particular with physical appearances but they will want their partners to look neat and clean at the very least. Make an effort to shave and comb your hair when you plan to meet her, especially if it’s for the first time. And don’t forget to wear an anti-perspirant, too. You really wouldn’t want her to smell a dozen rotten guavas on your first date, would you?
3) Be the perfect gentlemen. With all the advancements in technology, this might sound so oldish. But for a Filipina woman, there’s nothing archaic with opening the door for her, pulling out a chair for her, guiding her across the street, and so on. But don’t spoil her too much. It’s one thing to be treated like a lady, and another thing to be treated like a baby.
4) Woo her. Courtship, Filipino style, is still very much alive in the hearts of Filipina women. This means she will not readily take you as her boyfriend the moment you lay eyes on each other. You must woo her with flowers, small gifts, and little acts of kindness, until her heart warms up to you.
5) Have a job. Financial stability is important to a Filipino women. The Filipino girl you want to marry will want to feel secure that you can provide for her and your family’s needs. So if you’re out of job for one reason or another, work on your eligibility so you can find a higher paying or more stable job.
6) Get to know her family. Keep in mind that Filipinos generally give much importance to their family. If you must know, many Filipinas who are already beyond the legal age, still live with their parents. So if you want to marry a Filipino woman, make an effort to be close with her family as well.
7) Visit her in her hometown. If you really love her and are serious enough to marry her, you will not mind crossing the miles to visit her in her hometown and watch her history unfolding before your very eyes.
8) Throw an engagement party with or minus the fanfare. An engagement party is a celebration of love, and a means for the girl’s family to see your sincerity in marrying their little girl. You can do it with trumpet blasts or as much fanfare as you can afford, or you can choose to keep it simple but intimate. Regardless, doing this will make you feel closer to the family.
9) Be thoughtful. Show her you think about her in many wonderful ways, such as send her a text message, an email, or call her during important dates, like birthdays, anniversaries, and even at times she least expect it.
10) Prepare the necessary travel and/or marriage documents. It will be a lot easier to bring your girl to your home country when her a fiancee visa first instead of marrying her right here in the Philippines then taking her back to your country. Regardless, there are papers to be filled out and submitted to the right agencies, so make sure you have all these ready.
11) Respect her religion. The Philippines is, by and large, a Catholic country, so if your girl is indeed Catholic (and you’re not), respect the fact that she may not want to get married unless if it is a Catholic wedding ceremony.
12) Love her with all your heart. What’s a marriage without love, right? For Filipino women love is very important than physical attraction. Don’t go into a relationship with a Filipino woman if your heart is only half-baked, else you’ll just end up hurting her.