One’s environment plays a huge role in shaping his/her values and behavior. Generally, Filipino men may share the same physical features, i.e., short in stature, big nose, chinky eyes, but how they act is influenced by how they are brought up and by what they see all around them. It goes to say, a Filipino guy who was born and raised in America will not act in the same way as the next Filipino guy who was born and raised in the Philippines.
A Filipino woman dating an American born Filipino is likely to notice the following differences sooner or later:
1) American-born Filipinos are more direct when converting their thoughts into words. They don’t go beating around the bush, and that means they can be brutally honest. If you’re not used to this, you can find it insulting, offensive, or hurtful, but know that it is not intentional on the part of the American-born Filipino to hurt you. Chances are, he does not expect you to be hurt by his words because from where he grew up, girls don’t easily get sentimental when spoken to directly.
2) American-born Filipinos don’t care what others think. They wear whatever they like, according to their own fashion sense, without giving a care in the world if they are creating a scene or causing a commotion in the process. Don’t be surprised if you find a Filipino guy with streaks of gold in his spiky hair, and rings on the earlobes, nose, and lips, and one who’s wearing faded cut-offs and statement tees. Chances are, he did not grow up in the Philippines.
3) American-born Filipinos are more liberated. If they have lived in the US long enough, they must have adopted the Westerners’ views about dating, marriage, and love in general. An American-born Filipino may want to go intimate already on just your second date, so be ready with what you would tell him.
4) American-born Filipinos are more brand-conscious. To them it matters a lot that they wear branded apparel, especially, when going on a date. This can put a lot of pressure on you, too, to be more choosy with your outfits if you are going on a date with the American guy.
5) American-born Filipinos are liberal-minded, especially when it comes to religion and relationships. American-born Filipinos may not be very religious, and it may not matter to them what religion you believe in, but if you are passionate about your religion, this can pose a problem sooner or later. When it comes to relationships, American-born Filipinos are open-minded, too. Don’t be surprised to find lots of not a them being open to the idea of an open relationship. If you are not the only “apple of your American-born guy’s eyes”, don’t be surprised about that, either.
6) American-born Filipinos are wilder and more adventurous. They are used to more action, so their idea of a perfect date may include bar hopping, wild disco dancing, and bungee jumping, to name a few.
By these differences alone, it is easy to identify if the Filipino you are dating is American-born or not. But does it really matter where one is born? Perhaps, for a lot of women, love is the only thing that matters, and will conquer all. But apparently for others, love is not all that matters. Indeed, if you are in for the long haul, these differences can be your deciding points whether to proceed with the relationship or stop right there and then before your heart gets broken. Needless to say, there are advantages and disadvantages either way. You just have to learn how to make the most of your relationship, regardless of who you are dating – an American-born Filipino or someone born in the Philippines.